How Often Should You Change Your Mop Water | Easy Tips
Cleaning can seem a lot when it is not done the right way. Without vacuuming the floor mopping, it won’t make any difference. So, try sweeping or vacuuming the floor before you mop it. Once you have completed the first step perfectly, you are bound to have the best results possible.
If you are the one who mops around the house, then you must have thought that ‘how often should you change your mop water’. You can, or I should say you must change your mop each two to three months. And from my perspective, I’d suggest not to reuse mop water.
- 1 How often should you change your mop water?
How often should you change your mop water?
Mop water is full of germs and bacterias; it is better not to reuse mop water. It would help if you aimed for two-three months for the replacement of a mop head.
We have come up with a list of things that will give you a specific idea about how often to change your mop water:
- If your floors are filthy, then it’s better not to reuse mop water.
- Once you have mopped your floor, the mop water is already dirty enough. Even if you mop the floor using the same water, it will be of no use. It will just make things worse.
- Storing the water from the last mop can have leftover soil, and after a certain period, it will start smelling sour.
- It is best to clean your mop head as soon as you are mopping the floor.
- Try to use warm water to clean the mop head. Be sure not to use too much hot water.
- Once you are done with mopping the floor, it would be best if you dump the water into your toilet or down your shower drain.
- So it is best to change your mop water after each use.
- Try to keep your air conditioner turned on while you are mopping.
- The mop heads you are using should be changed depending on their type.
- Cotton mops should be changed after a period of 15-30 washes.
- For microfiber mop heads, the time duration is up to 500 washes.
This must be clear that it won’t be quite a good decision to reuse your mop water.
How to keep your mop clean
Keeping your floor clean becomes easy when you know the ideal ways to keep your mop clean.
Here are some tips that you can follow to keep your mop clean:
1. Rinse the mop after every use
After every use, try and rinse the mop. Rinse any dirt or the cleaning solution that you have used unless it is completely clean. It is vital to rinse the mop properly because soap residues can cause damage to your mop, and the traces of dirt can create and spread grime.
2. Wash your mop
The first thing you need to do is check if your mop head is machine washable. If it is machine washable, follow the cleaning instructions that came with the mop. If it is not machine washable, it’s time to do it manually. Create a mixture of water and bleach. Soak the mop head into the water for 10-15 minutes. Then bring the mop head out and rinse it properly. Rinse it unless the mop head runs completely clear water.
3. Let the mop dry properly
If you need to stop the growth of germs and bacterias, be sure to keep your mop dry. The first thing you need to start by is wringing as much as possible. Then place the mop outside so that the water dries out. The sun usually helps kill the bacterias or stops the germs’ growth. If you can’t place it in the sun, place it in a well-ventilated area.
4. Store the mop correctly
A dry and cool place is suitable for the storage of your mop. It is best to hang the mop to not brush against the floor. Let the mop dry thoroughly; if the mop is well dried, it is ready to go for another cleaning round.
5. Replacing the mop head on time
Usually mop heads should be changed once in two-three months. When your mop head is worn, replace it as soon as possible. Your floor remains much cleaner when your mop head remains clean.
Here are a few tips mopping tips that you may find helpful
- Try using two buckets.
- Use one bucked for clean water and one bucket for soap or detergent water.
- You can also use mopping solutions.
- Start mopping with the soap water then mop it and dip it into the clear water bucket.
- Be sure to squeeze out the excess water from the mop.
- Continue alternating the buckets.
- Try replacing the water once it looks muddy.
- Try to mop your bathroom in the last, or you can use a separate mop to clean your bathroom.
- Bathrooms are full of germs, and using the same mop can easily cause cross-contamination.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
What should be put in mop water for better cleaning?
You can try using a standard cleaning solution. You can also use soap, apple cider vinegar, bleach, or ammonia.
How often should you use a mop?
How often you should mop depends on the number of people staying in the house. If you are the only one or there are only two of you, you can mop once in a while. But if there is much more traffic then areas like hallways, bathrooms, kitchens etc. If they are not used daily, you can mop them once a week.
Should you vacuum or mop first?
Well, it is pretty simple. Vacuum first. Once you are done with vacuuming move on to mopping, this will double cleanse the floor and help you keep it clean.
Can you mop with warm water?
Yes, you can mop using warm water. Warm water helps in killing germs. But try not to use water at a very high temperature.
Can you use dish soap to mop the floor?
Yes, you can use dish soap to mop the floor. Mix a few drops of dish soap in the water. You don’t need separate cleansing liquid to clean your walls or countertops.
It is time to wrap things up. By now, you must have gained a clear idea about how often should you change your mop water. This is all the information we could provide you. Mopping is easy when done in the right way. So we have gathered the best tips for mopping. I hope you will find the tips helpful.